In Russia, companies active on the Russian market have founded an industrial association "Russian Packaging and Environment Coalition", "RusPEC". RusPEC is a legal entity, voluntary not-for-profit organization of industrial packaging producers and fillers producing consumer good in Russian Federation.
Association develops and promotes proposals for integrated management of consumer wastes, including packaging wastes, based on the principles of environment safety, economic efficiency and social acceptability, as well as methods and processes of packaging waste management according to principles of shared financial responsibility of all parties who are involved at any certain stage of packaging "life cycle".
Main goal of the Association is to promote effective and sustainable way of packaging waste management (such as EPR principle) taking into account interests of industries, which produce and use packaging for producing of consumer goods, in the sphere of packaging waste management and environment protection.
Main objectives and targets of the Association also include:
- Present interests of the members in the sphere of packaging and environment in relations with government and third bodies;
- Support governmental institutions of all levels in conducting research,
- development of standards, programs and drafts of legislative documents;
- Develop cooperation between members of the Association, other professional and public organizations, governmental bodies and institutions, consumers for the purposes of introducing and promoting environmentally safe and modern packaging technologies including environmentally and economically efficient management of packaging wastes;
- Provide informational service as an Informational center for its members, governmental bodies and civil institutions, producers, consumers and media;
- Prepare analysis and prognostication of dynamics of packaging and packaging waste volume and composition (of consumer goods) as compared with whole volume of solid wastes in Russia;
- Interact and cooperate with similar associations and organization in Russia and other countries of Europe, participation in conferences, seminars and exhibitions on the topic.
- Adoption of Framework Law in 2014, effective since January 2015
- Obligation for Producers (importers) of goods to ensure their utilization after their loss of consumer properties in accordance with the utilization targets set up by the RF Government. Producers are also obliged to utilize packaging waste of the goods in this packaging.
The formal options to be in compliance:
- Self compliance (individual infrastructure development)
- Individual contracts with waste operators and regional operators
- Producers Association (as well as contracts with waste operators on behalf of association)
Utilization targets: available on request
- Introduction of the ecofee rate is expected in 2016.
- Clarification of issues regarding the content of the Declaration, the submittal process and between RusPEC and the authorities.
For further information please contact RusPEC or PRO Europe.